For most people, brushing their teeth has become a daily habit. Many people
brush twice a day, while others brush after every meal. Because tooth
brushing is a routine and mechanical act, many people do not even consider
that there are correct and incorrect ways to do it. People may not be
aware that you can, in fact, cause more harm than good by brushing the
wrong way. However, brushing your teeth using the correct techniques can
play an important role in the overall health of your gums and teeth.
First, consider the type of toothbrush and toothpaste you use. Maintaining
a healthy, clean mouth starts with using the proper tools. It is important
to practice the following habits:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Use a soft-bristled brush.
- Make sure the size of the brush is not too small or too big for your mouth.
- The brush should be able to reach all areas of your mouth easily.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
- If bristles are frayed earlier than three months, dispose of the toothbrush .
- Use ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
Below we have listed a few helpful tips regarding the proper brushing techniques:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle in comparison to the gums.
- Gently brush your teeth back and forth.
- Make sure your brush strokes are short. A tooth-wide width is optimal.
- Brush the outer surfaces of your teeth.
- Be sure to brush the inside surfaces of your teeth even if they are not visible.
- For the inside of your teeth, brush in an up and down motion.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth and make sure any food particles
- Brush your tongue, carefully removing bacteria. This will also improve
Brushing your teeth with a toothbrush may not remove all bacteria and food
particles, as they can easily be trapped between the teeth or under the
gums. This is why you should also clean between each tooth using floss.
This will help remove any plaque that is unreachable, as well.
The Szikman Dental Group, P.C. Cares
The Atlanta dentists at our office care about your health and smile. No
matter what issues you may be facing, it is important to practice healthy
brushing and flossing habits on a regular basis. We also advise that you
visit our office at least every six months to ensure your teeth and gums
are in tip-top shape.
Remember, you only get one natural set; take care of your teeth. To make
contact the Atlanta dentists at Szikman Dental Group, P.C. today!