Having a good and consistent oral hygiene routine may be one of the best
things you do for your body. Many people do not know this but a good dental
hygiene regimen can prevent heart disease. Heart disease can lead to heart
attack and diabetes. Therefore, by performing your oral hygiene regimen
every day, you can prevent heart disease, heart attack, diabetes, cavities,
and more! But remember, it starts with the basics- your toothbrush!
Going to the oral hygiene department of any store can be overwhelming.
With tons of different options in toothbrushes, it can be difficult deciding
which one is best.To help, we have listed a couple of variables you may want to consider
the next time you are on the quest for a new toothbrush.
- The perfect sized toothbrush will have easy access to all areas of your
mouth and all surfaces of your teeth.
- For most people, a toothbrush head that is about half an inch wide and
an inch tall is ideal.
- While large toothbrush heads are available, they may not allow you to access
hard to reach places such as the sides and backs of your molars.
Consider the Bristles.
- Tooth brushes come with different levels of nylon-brushes. Most of the
time, the options are extra soft, soft, medium, and hard.
- Generally speaking, toothbrushes with soft bristles are the way to go.
- Depending on how vigorously you brush your teeth, a hard or medium brush
can damage your gums by tearing the gum surfaces.
- Potentially, hard and medium bristles can damage the surfaces of your teeth’s
roots and deteriorate the protective enamel surfaces.
Ask an Experienced Dentists.
- For best results, consult a dentist to determine what kind of toothbrush
is best for you. An experienced dentist will be able to examine your teeth
and gums and decide whether a manual or electric toothbrush is best based
on the conditions of your mouth.
If you have any question regarding oral hygiene or the overall health of
your mouth, teeth, and gums,
call the Atlanta dentist at The Szikman Dental Group, P.C. today! We are passionate about getting
you a clean and radiant smile.