A Dentist's Guide to Healthy Gums

Posted By The Szikman Dental Group, P.C. || 30-Jan-2015

Keeping your gums and by extension, your teeth healthy is about the best investment you can make. Think about it. You have one set of teeth for your entire adult life. If you don’t take care of them:

  • They will start to cause you pain
  • They will look bad and can cause bad breath which is awkward in social situations
  • They will need frequent visits to the dentist to fix which will get expensive over time
  • They can even fall out which makes eating a lot more difficult

To ensure that you avoid these problems, you should follow these tips:

1. Don’t skimp on your tooth brush! That doesn’t mean you have to spend a ton but make sure it is a quality brush. One with soft bristles will be the most comfortable to use and if it has crisscross bristles, it will help remove plaque from the hard to reach places. Also, you should replace your toothbrush about every three to four months. If it is to worn out, it loses effectiveness.

2. Brush At Least twice a day! Plaque has bacteria in it which interacts with the sugar in food and releases an acid. This acid is what tears down the enamel on your teeth causing them to become vulnerable. It also irritates your gums. If you brush frequently, you keep the plaque to a minimum so there isn’t enough acid to worry about.

3. Floss Daily! Even if you brush like a madman, there will still be some food debris and plaque stuck between your teeth that you miss. Since it is pressed right up against your teeth and gums, it will start to cause a lot of problems when it decomposes. Plus, just the idea of decomposing food between your teeth should be enough to have you running for your dental floss!

4. Mouthwash is your friend! Your teeth only take up about 25% of the space in your mouth, but oral hygiene products are directed at them. If you want to make sure the other 75% of your mouth is free of plaque then you need to rinse with a good mouthwash.

Categories: Dental